10 January 2010

2009: Songs of the Year - Number 10


I don't think there's been one song this year that has been as simultaneously downbeat and uplifting as this, the title track and opener to Noah And The Whale's second album. Only a song rooted in real-life heartbreak could provide such lyrical contrasts as "It's the first day of spring/And my life is starting over again", "For I do believe that everyone has one chance/To fuck up their lives" and "For I'm still here hoping that one day you may come back" The funereal, "Be My Baby"-aping drumbeat combined with orchestral flourishes that tug on the heartstrings make for an emotional 6 minutes and 39 seconds. To be honest, any one of the songs on The First Days Of Spring could have been here, but I'm playing safe and going with the first, and possibly the most powerful on the album.

No comments: